Below is a brief self test that can help individuals determine if they need an evaluation for a mood disorder. However, only a licensed professional in a one-on-one setting can positively and properly diagnose a mood disorder or other mental health disorder.
Please answer yes or no to each of the following:
- Do you have consistent feelings of sadness, loss of pleasure or hopelessness?
- Do you feel consistently irritable or quick to anger?
- Do you feel that life is not worth living or have thoughts to harm yourself?
- Are you experiencing too little or too much sleep or do you feel you can do very well with only a few hours or less of sleep a night?
- Have others told you that you are impulsive and make bad or risky decisions?
- Do you experience you thoughts as moving too fast and jumpy and that others can’t keep up with your thinking?
- Have you had periods of feeling so excited and confident that it felt almost euphoric? If so, did it last or happen frequently over a period of several days?
- Is your work, school or family life negatively impacted by any of the above symptoms?
These questions are intended to help a person recognize if he or she may need an evaluation for a mood disorder. If you answered yes to any of the red bolded items, these are indications of a serious mood disorder and you should seek professional assessment immediately. Additionally, if you are experiencing any of these symptoms or if you believe you are struggling with a mood disorder, you may benefit from a professional assessment.